The following is our proposed planning structure for the summit. If you would like to volunteer please sign up here
National Steering Committee: This group will be comprised of interested folks from DC and around the country, including several individuals who have planned previous summits. This group would be responsible for: Planning the content for the day including plenary and workshops. This group would be responsible for the call for workshop proposals and reviewing workshop proposals. This group would meet monthly by conference call.
Local Steering Committee: This group will have the financial and legal responsibility for planning the conference and handle all committee events: Proposed sub-committees:
- Logistics and Budget Committee: This committee will be responsible for putting together the summit budget, securing a location, negotiating contracts. This committee will be responsible for setting sponsorship levels, conference attendance fee, etc.
- Social Events Subcommittee: This committee will be responsible for planning evening social events that participants from both the GMHS and the Pre-Conference Institute of the International AIDS Conference (as well as all local DC residents) can participate. We will have hundreds of great gay/bi/trans men coming from around the country (and around the world!) and we want to give them a chance to see the best of what DC has to offer. These events are expected to be fun, multi-cultural, and raise money to help pay for the National Gay Men's Health Conference. Social Events could include a movie (in partnership with Reel Affirmations?) a Drag show, etc .
- Well-Being Subcommittee: This committee will be charged with making sure conference participants have access to any physical/mental health support they may need while they are in town. This could include:
- Planning on-site twelve step meetings and/or providing information to conference participants about LGBT friendly twelve step meetings (In the past this has included CMA, NA and AA).
- Planning on-site morning exercise options (bears do yoga? fun run?) and/or negotiating a special rate for local participants at a nearby gym. VIDA?
- Planning on site spiritual meetings and/or providing information to conference participants about LGBT friendly local spiritual resources.
- Local Non-Profit Partners Subcommittee: This committee will be tasked with reaching out to, and seeking both financial and in-kind support for the summit from local colleague organizations (Whitman-Walker Clinic, Us Helping Us, SMYAL, Team DC).
- Local Business Partners Subcommittee. This committee will be tasked with bringing local businesses into the process. This committee would create a print business directory of local businesses/restaurants/clubs for participants coming for our event and the International AIDS Conference as a whole. This would be a great way to promote LGBT-friendly participants, provide useful information to visitors, and generate revenue to help fund the Gay Men's Health Summit.